The History of Highlands Ranch

Highlands Ranch History

1891 - Original house, now part of the mansion, is built by Samuel Adam Long

1897 - John Springer buys the land and house, names it Springer Cross Country Horse and Cattle Ranch

1913 - Renamed Sunland Ranch

1926 - Renamed Diamond K Ranch

1937 - Renamed Highlands Ranch

1978 - The Mission Viejo Company acquires the land from Marvin Davis, a Denver Philanthropist

1980 - Construction begins in Highlands Ranch. The first families move in the following year

1982 - Northridge Park and rec center open. Northridge elementary school opens

1984 - First commercial center opens on Springer Drive

1985 - C - 470 is built out

1994 - Nationally recognized as the top master planned community in the country

1997 - Shea Homes purchases the Mission Viejo company

2000 - Redstone Park opens 

2001 - Local population is near 70,000 people (plus all the wildlife)

2005 - Civic Green Park opens. The greatest park in Colorado !

2006 - Population increases to over 85,000

2008 - Local yard sales attract buyers from all over the metro area

2010 - Over 25,000 homes have been built in Highlands Ranch

2011 - IKEA store opens nearby

2012 - Highlands Ranch Mansion opens to the public after a six million dollar renovation

2013 - Housing prices spike and homes are selling within days of being listed

2016 - The resale market remains strong

highlands ranch mansion